Tuesday 10 April 2018

Part 2: Building a Kings of War Werewolves Horder with Reaper Bones


 The Final Stage of the Werewolves Horde project in Part 1


This post is a continuation of Part 1: Building a Kings of War Werewolves Horde with Reaper Bones.  In this post I will be adding the finishing touches to the Werewolves unit.

Leader/Champion (77464: Werewolf)


Blue War Paint (Woad): Ancient Celtic warriors painted their bodies with blue dyes (woad) to create a psychological effect on the battlefield.  Thus, I decided to add blue ‘war paint’ to this unit to create a similar psychological presence on the tabletop.  The war paint was applied to the leader and 3 of the werewolves.

When selecting the paint, I wanted a value of blue that would standout.  I selected Reaper 09117 Cyan Blue for this task.  Afterwards, I applied blue ink and dry brushed the area.

Werewolf with war paint (left) and werewolf without war paint (right)

 Reaper Miniatures (77009: werewolf)


The Finishing Touches: I applied black paint to the eyes, nose, mouth and claws.  I used a fine detail brush to apply white paint for the eyes.  For the teeth and claws I dry brushed white paint on these areas.  For the tongues, I painted these dark red.  

Semi-Gloss Clear Coat: Finally, I sprayed the models with a semi-gloss clear coat. 

 The completed unit


Now that the werewolves are ready for the tabletop, here are my thought about this project:

Affordability: As I touched on in Part 1, the rank-and-file werewolves costs $2 USD each, the leader is under $4 USD and the 40mm bases are $5 USD for a package of 10.  This puts the total costs of this unit at around $19 USD (approximately $24 Canadian). 

High Quality Miniatures: Reaper Miniatures employs some of the best miniature sculptors in the industry; thus, their miniatures are of the highest quality.  The werewolves are well sculpted and look great on the tabletop.

One of the barriers for a young person to take up the hobby of miniature gaming are the costs ($20 is a lot of money for a teenager).  Reaper Miniatures has made our hobby accessible to a wider audience, through the introduction of their Bones line.  This makes it easier for a young person, just getting into the hobby, to start their first Kings of War army.  


versus Ogre Warriors regiment (Reaper Miniatures Bones)


versus Kingdom of Men Shield Wall regiment (GW Bretonnia Men-at-Arms)


versus Dwarf Shieldbreakers regiment (Reaper Miniatures Bones)

versus Kingdom of Men Shield Wall regiment (GW Bretonnia Men-at-Arms)

versus Kingdom of Men Shield Wall regiment (GW Bretonnia Men-at-Arms)

versus Ogre Warriors regiment (Reaper Miniatures Bones)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dungeon & Dragon Miniatures: Board Game Miniatures Part 3

    Board Game Miniatures   My previous posts featured board game miniatures I painted for my D&D games.   Since my last post, ...